Little Ferry, New Jersey is a small borough in Bergen County with a population of 10,626 according to the 2010 United States Census. The geography of the borough is mostly flat land near the Hackensack River, with some hilly areas in the center and south. The climate is humid subtropical, with hot summers and cold winters. See harvardshoes for main cities in New Jersey.
The history of Little Ferry dates back to 1667 when it was part of the Pavonia colony. It was incorporated as a borough in 1894. Politics in Little Ferry are dominated by Democrats, although there are also some Republicans represented on the local government.
The economy of Little Ferry is primarily driven by services such as retail and health care, as well as light manufacturing. There are several schools located within the borough’s boundaries, including two public schools – Memorial School and Hillside Elementary School – and one private school – St. Joseph Regional High School.
Little Ferry has many landmarks that attract visitors from all over Bergen County and beyond. One popular attraction is Overpeck Park which offers recreational activities such as golfing, biking, fishing and kayaking along its scenic trails and riverbanks. The Little Ferry Public Library is another well-known landmark that houses thousands of books for residents to enjoy reading or borrowing from its collection. Other noteworthy landmarks include Barbour Pond Park which features a fishing pier and playgrounds; the Little Ferry Circle which serves as an important traffic intersection; and Liberty State Park which provides stunning views of New York City’s skyline.
Population: 10,800. Estimated population in July 2020: 10,775 (-0.2% change)
Males: 5,261 (48.7%), Females: 5,539 (51.3%)
Median resident age: 37.1 years
Median household income: $49,958
Median house value: $192,800
Races in Little Ferry:
- White Non-Hispanic (60.2%)
- Hispanic (15.2%)
- Korean (7.9%)
- Other race (5.8%)
- Black (4.7%)
- Asian Indian (3.6%)
- Two or more races (3.5%)
- Filipino (3.2%)
- Chinese (0.9%)
- Other Asian (0.8%)
- Japanese (0.8%)
(Total can be greater than 100% because Hispanics could be counted in other races)
Ancestries: Italian (26.3%), Irish (14.1%), German (12.4%), Polish (5.4%), United States (2.9%), English (1.9%).
Elevation: 9 feet
Land area: 1.5 square miles
Little Ferry, New Jersey is a small community located in Bergen County. As of the 2010 census, the population was 10,626 people. The racial makeup of the town is predominantly Caucasian, with a mix of other races and ethnicities. The median household income for Little Ferry is $62,813 and the median home value is $360,000.
The cost of living in Little Ferry is higher than many other towns in Bergen County due to its close proximity to New York City. While groceries and healthcare are fairly affordable, housing costs are much higher than average due to high demand from commuters who work in NYC. Renting an apartment or house can be quite expensive and buying a home can be out of reach for many residents. Even so, Little Ferry offers a great quality of life with its beautiful parks, peaceful neighborhoods, and convenient access to major cities like New York City and Newark.
For population 25 years and over in Little Ferry
- High school or higher: 81.5%
- Bachelor’s degree or higher: 24.1%
- Graduate or professional degree: 8.0%
- Unemployed: 4.6%
- Mean travel time to work: 26.0 minutes
For population 15 years and over in Little Ferry borough
- Never married: 29.3%
- Now married: 53.0%
- Separated: 2.1%
- Widowed: 7.4%
- Divorced: 8.2%
31.1% Foreign born (15.0% Asia, 8.0% Latin America, 6.2% Europe).
Population change in the 1990s: +787 (+7.9%).
Hospitals/medical centers near Little Ferry:
- HACKENSACK UNIVERSITY MEDICAL (about 3 miles; HACKENSACK, NJ)
- HOLY NAME HOSPITAL (about 4 miles; TEANECK, NJ)
- PALISADES GENERAL HOSPITAL (about 5 miles; NORTH BERGEN, NJ)
Airports certified for carrier operations nearest to Little Ferry:
- TETERBORO (about 1 miles; TETERBORO, NJ; Abbreviation: TEB)
- PORT AUTH-DWNTN-MANHATTAN/WALL ST (about 11 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRB)
- LA GUARDIA (about 14 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: LGA)
Other public-use airports nearest to Little Ferry:
- LITTLE FERRY (about 2 miles; LITTLE FERRY, NJ; Abbreviation: 2N7)
- WEST 30TH ST. (about 8 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: JRA)
- PAN AM METROPORT (about 10 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Abbreviation: 6N4)
Amtrak stations near Little Ferry:
- 8 miles: NEW YORK (PENN STA) (NEW YORK, 7TH AVE. & W. 32ND ST.). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, full-service food facilities, snack bar, vending machines, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: YONKERS (FOOT OF DOCK ST. & WELLS AVE.). Services: fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, public transit connection.
- 12 miles: NEWARK (RAYMOND PLAZA WEST). Services: ticket office, fully wheelchair accessible, enclosed waiting area, public restrooms, public payphones, snack bar, ATM, paid short-term parking, paid long-term parking, call for car rental service, taxi stand, intercity bus service, public transit connection.
Colleges and Universities
Colleges/universities with over 2000 students nearest to Little Ferry:
- FAIRLEIGH DICKINSON UNIVERSITY-ALL CAMPUSES (about 4 miles; TEANECK, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 6,482)
- COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY IN THE CITY OF NEW YORK (about 7 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 18,009)
- TEACHERS COLLEGE AT COLUMBIA UNIVERSITY (about 7 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 3,371)
- BARNARD COLLEGE (about 7 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 2,253)
- CUNY CITY COLLEGE (about 7 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 7,635)
- CUNY JOHN JAY COLLEGE CRIMINAL JUSTICE (about 7 miles; NEW YORK, NY; Full-time enrollment: 8,338)
- BERGEN COMMUNITY COLLEGE (about 8 miles; PARAMUS, NJ; Full-time enrollment: 7,733)
Public primary/middle schools in Little Ferry:
- MEMORIAL (Students: 732; Location: 130 LIBERTY ST; Grades: 02 – 08)
- WASHINGTON (Students: 211; Location: 123 LIBERTY ST; Grades: PK – 01)
Library in Little Ferry:
- LITTLE FERRY FREE PUBLIC LIBRARY (Operating income: $303,645; Location: 239 LIBERTY STREET; 29,216 books; 711 audio materials; 666 video materials; 125 serial subscriptions)